President Obama, Carrying.
The photo above, by Pete Souza, accompanied this. The photo illustration below, which is a fake, accompanied that.
The first article began:
- WASHINGTON — When President Obama mentioned last week that he had picked up a new hobby — skeet shooting at Camp David — it was a surprising disclosure by a president whose main identification with guns these days is his effort to ban assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.
- To some, Mr. Obama’s newfound enthusiasm for shooting clay pigeons — he said in an interview that he did it “all the time” at the presidential retreat — also seemed a bit suspicious.
The spoof, which appeared almost two months before the news above, began this way:
- WASHINGTON—Reflecting attitudes held throughout his personal and political life, President Barack Obama restated Thursday his long-standing fear that the U.S. government is even now putting measures in place to take his guns away.
- Obama, an avid gun enthusiast with an extensive history of mistrusting the federal government, claimed Washington’s actions in recent years have been particularly egregious and described its “rabid anti-gun zealotry” as “some real sinister, Nazi-type shit.”
Later, it added:
- "What if somebody breaks into the White House tonight?" Obama continued. "Hell, I got a prerogative to protect my wife and kids."
Everything on this particular post is offered without comment. No need to get in the way of something this weird.