Straight-Faced Shilling, and a Media Fail.
A report by the Public Accountability Initiative unspools the connections of many voices that advocated military intervention in Syria to manufacturers that stood to benefit from arms sales or other contracts related to such military action.
Along the way, it lays bare as well the defense-industry connections of many supposedly independent think tanks that inform public discourse on American military activities.
Stephen Hadley, above, was lead example. Bold-face below added for emphasis of a key point.
During the public debate around the question of whether to attack Syria, Stephen Hadley, former national security adviser to George W. Bush, made a series of high-profile media appearances. Hadley argued strenuously for military intervention in appearances on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and Bloomberg TV, and authored a Washington Post op-ed headlined “To stop Iran, Obama must enforce red lines with Assad.”
In each case, Hadley’s audience was not informed that he serves as a director of Raytheon, the weapons manufacturer that makes the Tomahawk cruise missiles that were widely cited as a weapon of choice in a potential strike against Syria. Hadley earns $128,500 in annual cash compensation from the company and chairs its public affairs committee. He also owns 11,477 shares of Raytheon stock, which traded at all-time highs during the Syria debate ($77.65 on August 23, making Hadley’s share’s worth $891,189). Despite this financial stake, Hadley was presented to his audience as an experienced, independent national security expert.
Though Hadley’s undisclosed conflict is particularly egregious, it is not unique. The following report documents the industry ties of Hadley, 21 other media commentators, and seven think tanks that participated in the media debate around Syria. Like Hadley, these individuals and organizations have strong ties to defense contractors and other defense- and foreign policy-focused firms with a vested interest in the Syria debate, but they were presented to their audiences with a veneer of expertise and independence, as former military officials, retired diplomats, and independent think tanks.
Most anyone who examines weapons and their effects knows the Tomahawk is an overrated system (in part because it is a media darling, related to this kind of sales campaign), and that its use has been the source of enduring American government falsehoods (cf, Yemen, Dec. 2009). A hat tip to PAI for pointing to the repeated appearance of a director of the Tomahawk manufacturer advocating, in essence, for more Tomahawk use.
ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPH
From the WSJ.
- docksandmarinas reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- butchrosser likes this
- hahasan2885 likes this
- abstract-i likes this
- leguape likes this
- eddyckeane likes this
- squeakypickles07 likes this
- tassava likes this
- bitchpuddingz likes this
- citrus-fiend reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- shadesofhappy reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- letinout likes this
- alanshemper reblogged this from cognitivedissonance and added:
- drst reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- rabidracoons likes this
- odinsblog likes this
- randycwhite reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- randycwhite likes this
- shinobivsdragon reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- ivangelion likes this
- kia-ora likes this
- brianlionzion reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- erickaforman reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- woohill likes this
- erickaforman likes this
- sparkyundertehbridge likes this
- cuckooforcristiano reblogged this from cognitivedissonance
- recordshift likes this
- opalescentluminescent likes this
- cognitivedissonance reblogged this from cjchivers
- the-bathroom-walls reblogged this from cjchivers
- zark2a reblogged this from cjchivers
- geoffinsd reblogged this from cjchivers
- geoffinsd likes this
- occidamus-omnes-demonum reblogged this from cjchivers
- crosseyedbears reblogged this from cjchivers
- inscener likes this
- sclr likes this
- phoenixgray likes this
- bataleur reblogged this from welcometowhiteboyhell
- kaible reblogged this from welcometowhiteboyhell
- bohemianartlabs reblogged this from d-pi
- drkeirone reblogged this from welcometowhiteboyhell
- justbasicmike reblogged this from cjchivers
- goethes-fist reblogged this from lointaine-3
- goethes-fist likes this
- saltysalmonella likes this
- saltysalmonella reblogged this from welcometowhiteboyhell
- lointaine-3 reblogged this from whatmakespistachionuts
- ossimatic likes this